Wattie Ink. Elite Team Official Sponsors

Wattie Ink. Elite Team Official Sponsors
Wattie Ink. Elite Team Official Sponsors

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Time flies when you're getting older... Wineglass Marathon (and other) Race Report

Well, two months and three races have passed since my last post.  A lot going on in my personal...rather professional life, but hopefully things are settled down a bit and stable for the foreseeable future.

Ok, a quick rundown of my races.

Super sprint triathlon - the Twinbrook Triathlon - second overall (ok, the competition was NOT fierce at all).  Race went fairly well, but man oh man, I could NOT get my wind following the swim.  I never settled down on the bike and by the time that I maybe got my breathing and heart rate in check, it was time to run.  I'll take second overall though...my first overall podium.  Wooo!  Oh yeah, my wife got first in the duathlon - her first duathlon.  Not too shabby!  If she ever takes on the multi sport world, she will be a force (I truly believe she could qualify for Kona in short order. She's THAT good).

Parks Half Marathon - 1:30:35.  I was ok with this.  Wish I would have gone sub 1:30, but it was what I had that day.  Oh well.  I was hot and never felt great throughout and I could hold 6:50 pace for the last few miles.  Live and learn....  Chrissy takes first in the Masters.  Once again, she freaking rocks!

Wineglass Marathon - 10/6/2013 - 3:13:45
Overall, I'm ok with this.  This does qualify me for Boston in 2015, but I'm not fully satisfied with the time.  I really thought I could go sub 3:10, but my excuse is it was much more hot and humid than I'd hoped.  Actually, the only excuse I have is not putting in more miles.  The weather was what it was and my training wasn't what it should have been.  That said, I dealt with the heat much better than some so I'm happy with that aspect.  I went through the first half marathon with about 20 seconds in the bank, unfortunately, I probably gave that back within the next three (I'll have to look at my splits, but after half, I really started fading).  Looks like by mile 19 I had lost all my banked time.  Oh well, what can you do?  Not much to say about the race.  I walked two water stops just to make sure I had enough in the tank to not walk any other portion of the race.  After about the stop around 24, I took it all the way in.  I managed to qualify with 1:15 to spare, but who knows if that will be enough in 2015.  In 2 weeks and a couple days, I'm doing Marine Corps...I haven't decided how to take that on yet.  Maybe try to get myself a few extra seconds...maybe try for sub 3:10...  I don't know.  I haven't run since Wineglass so lots of thinking to do (it could be ugly and a just get across the damn finish line type of race).  And to continue the trend, Chrissy takes 3rd overall at Wineglass.  Not too f'n bad for someone who is less than 6 months removed from a stress fracture. 

More to come...including at the very least a course PR at MCM!

No comments:

Post a Comment